Tips on Properly Storing Your Medication
Tips to help you safeguard your medications at home:
- Do not store medicines in public areas, like the bathroom or the kitchen.
- Keep the child safe side of the lid on all containers.
- Keep pills in the original containers in case a child does take a pill and you need to report that to emergency teams.
- Check the pill count often to make sure pills are not being taken one at a time.
- Keep all medicines in a locked area. Use a locked room, drawer or box or any box you can put a lock on. You can purchase special medicine lock containers or safes.
- Do not save medicines once you are no longer taking them. You may forget what medicines you have and a child may find them.
- Remove all your medicines out of areas where workers will be in your home.
Tips to help you safeguard your medications when traveling:
- Use the safe in your hotel room. Medications left on the counter or bedside table may be temptation to hotel staff.
- If staying in a home with children, let your host know you have medications and ask for their assistance with safe storage.